Re: Why emacs have not native language menu

From: Jean-Christophe Helary
Subject: Re: Why emacs have not native language menu
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 14:16:59 +0900

On 25 juil. 07, at 01:02, Pascal Bourguignon wrote:

Jean-Christophe Helary <fusion@mx6.tiki.ne.jp> writes:

On 24 juil. 07, at 23:26, Thien-Thi Nguyen wrote:

() Jean-Christophe Helary <fusion@mx6.tiki.ne.jp>
() Tue, 24 Jul 2007 23:00:28 +0900

   No because the people who pretend that there are technical
   issues or that "it is impossible" do not make sense in the
   first place.

perhaps you misunderstand them (more than they misunderstand you).

Pascal Bourguignon's replies are a good example of misunderstanding
me: I am not talking about localizing the function names, which would
definitely create a mess, but about localizing the interface, as
Hadron very clearly put it. Or maybe Hadron is totally misunderstood
too ?

But you don't understand me!  function names are a great part of the
interface of emacs.  I never use the menu (first thing in my ~/.emacs
is (mapc (lambda (f) (funcall f -1))
        '(menu-bar-mode scroll-bar-mode tool-bar-mode))
).  Command names (that is function names) are a big part of the my
interactive interface with emacs, thru M-x.

I understand that you enjoy talking about your specific settings and how proficient you are at English and how everybody should be just as proficient as you so nobody would bother anybody with such silly requests as "localizing" (what a barbarous word!) such a wonderful application/language/whatever that is emacs in your eyes, but if you take some time off the mirror in which you find yourself so good at English, you'll notice that the real world is profoundly localized and that the cultural singularity that made computers and free software in the English speaking sphere is slowly fading away _thanks_ to the power of free software and its potential for computer literacy (and _not_ for English literacy).

Since we are talking about languages, you should be aware that computer languages (lisp included) propose different ways to appreciate the computer culture and it would be very counterproductive to expect all computer users to "speak" only a minimum sub-set of one dialect of one language.

It is just the same for natural languages. And since obviously English is not your native language you should be much more aware of that than native English users who obviously have no "need" for learning other languages since the world comes to them in English...

Have fun in your function-name English !

Jean-Christophe Helary