Re: a beginner's emacs troubles

From: roodwriter
Subject: Re: a beginner's emacs troubles
Date: 29 Jul 2007 20:08:39 -0400

"f33ldead@gmail.com" <f33ldead@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I have recently started using emacs, and I have come across with some
> annoying problems with emacs. I hope someone can help with them:
>

>     * I can't get auto-indentation working. When I open an empty file
> and press tab, then press enter, the second line is not indented, the
> cursor is at the beginning of the line.
>     * I want line-by-line scrolling. When I move the cursor at the
> bottom of the screen and press down, emacs scrolls many lines, rather
> than a single line.
>     * There's something strange with the way tab works in emacs. In cc
> mode, I write a few letter then press and nothing happens! I'm not
> allowed to put tabs anywhere on the file! I also tried editing an
> empty file and I had no means of getting tab work!!! I just want my
> tabs back!
>     * And no spaces, only tabs!

I'm not sure how basic of a question you're asking.

I'm wondering if you're typing in the scratch buffer. You'll need to
switch to a text or programming mode that fits what you're trying to
do.

Need a little more information to be of help.

--Rod
Author of "Linux for Non-Geeks--Clear-eyed Answers for Practical
Consumers" and "Boring Stories from Uncle Rod." To reply by e-mail
take the second "o" out of the e-mail address.