Assign a function to a variable, and invoke it

From: troelskn
Subject: Assign a function to a variable, and invoke it
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2007 15:22:55 -0700

I'm trying to assign an existing function to a variable, so I can call
that variable, rather than the actual function directly. The aim is to
have a single point, where I can change behaviour for my module. The
code I have so far is:

(defvar my-browse-url 'browse-url)
(my-browse-url "http://example.com";)

I suppose that functions and variables have different namespaces in
elisp? How do I invoke the function, which my-browse-url points to?