Re: tramp with socksify

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: tramp with socksify
Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2007 15:30:46 +0200

Fabian Braennstroem <f.braennstroem@gmx.de> writes:

> Hi Michael,

Hi Fabian,

>> Assume you will connect to test.socksify.com via telnet. Your socksv5
>> server is bypass.socksify.com:1080 (in fact I don't know neither the
>> host name nor the port number of their socksv5 server, it is just a
>> guess).
>>
>> You need to declare the socksv5 server as proxy:
>>
>> (add-to-list 'tramp-default-proxies-alist
>>              (list "test.socksify.com" nil
>> "/socks:bypass.socksify.com#1080:"))
>>
>> Then you can connect to test.socksify.com simply via
>> "telnet:test.socksify.com".

Should be "/telnet:test.socksify.com:", of course.

> Maybe I forgot to say, that I use:
>
> socksify telnet -l USERNAME IPaddress portnumber
>
> to connect to the other machine on the terminal. I would assume that
> the IPaddress is the socksv server...

Nope. That is the target you want to reach with your telnet command,
as far as I understand socksify. So you would open
"/telnet:USERNAME@IPaddress#portnumber" in your case.

The configuration of `tramp-default-proxies-alist' is equivalent to
what you need to configure in socks.conf for socksify.

> I am not able to check right now, because I just started my holidays
> for the next two weeks ... than I will check out more.

Have a nice time!

> Thanks!
> Fabian

Best regards, Michael.