Re: Can't open R in Emacs

From: Hosley
Subject: Re: Can't open R in Emacs
Date: Sat, 04 Aug 2007 16:54:22 -0700

On Aug 4, 5:33 pm, the matt <m...@kettlewell.net> wrote:
> On Aug 4, 3:15 pm, Hosley <kbro...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > No.  The 'tools' directory is for other purposes, such as compiling R
> > > from source
> > > and/or creating add-on packages.
>
> > > In this case, the terminal based executable on Windows, as per the link I
> > > provided is called 'Rterm.exe'.
>
> > > Note also that the full path to the application, which on Windows has a
> > > space
> > > in it, needs to use the '~1' contraction. So for R 2.5.1 it should be
> > > something
> > > like:
>
> > >   (setq inferior-R-program-name "C:/progra~1/R/R-2.5.1/bin/Rterm.exe")
>
> > > if you are going to use that approach in .emacs. Again, that is described
> > > in the
> > > aforementioned ESS manual.
>
> > > HTH,
>
> > > Marc
>
> > I want to alter the default in emacs, so I guess I want to create/
> > modify an initialization file (.emacs) with the command you've
> > provided above. I read the ESS manual and other stuff online, but I'm
> > still clueless! Where am I supposed to find or put this .emacs file?
> > Do I just create one in C:\devel\emacs\lisp by creating a text file,
> > typing in (setq inferior-R-program-name "C:/progra~1/R/R-2.5.1/bin/
> > Rterm.exe"), saving, then changing the format to .emacs? I know
> > literally nothing about command line programming, and much of this
> > manual is beyond my understanding.
>
> > Thanks again,
> > Hos
>
> I really have to wonder if running R inside of Emacs is a good idea
> for you.  It seems that you would be better off running R as a
> standalone.
>
> I don't know much about Windows init files, but I suspect  that a
> quick internet search for "Windows Emacs startup files" would give
> enough information to me so that I would'nt have to ask a newsgroup to
> do my homework for me.  There is also the GNU emacs manual that is
> pretty good at identifying the locations of all the startup scripts.
>
> .emacs files are customized in Emacs-Lisp (a LISP dialect), and I
> suspect that once you do figure out how to find this file, you will be
> further overwhelmed with getting it customized.
>
> I suggest that you stick with learning R (it is rather extensive in
> its own right)
>
> As to answer your question, if it (.emacs) isn't created, you will
> need to create it and put into the directory of your "HOME" env
> variable. If you don't have one defined, it will look in C:\
>
> Just my thoughts.
>
> Matt

I appreciate your advice. Unfortunately I have to follow the
instructions provided for the crash course (5 days 8 hours a day) I'm
required to take in R. I initially tried reading the manuals, but I
was getting overwhelmed with all of the scenarios that did not relate
to my issue. I was hoping there was an easy answer I was missing, and
I didn't mean for it to get to a point where others were doing my
homework for me (though I greatly appreciate all of the help and have
learned a lot in from what people have suggested). I'll read through
the manual again tomorrow, and if I find an answer, I'll post my own
step by step directions just in case it might help others.

Hos