Re: Can't open R in Emacs

From: the matt
Subject: Re: Can't open R in Emacs
Date: Sat, 04 Aug 2007 14:33:45 -0700

On Aug 4, 3:15 pm, Hosley <kbro...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Aug 4, 10:43 am, Marc Schwartz <marc_schwa...@comcast.net> wrote:
>

> > Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyba...@Web.DE> writes:

> > > You certainly won't be running R's GUI in GNU Emacs, you'll need to
> > > find the "simple" command line oriented utility, R.exe or such. The
> > > Swedish URL you provided mentions C:\tools\bin\ to contain R.
>
> > No.  The 'tools' directory is for other purposes, such as compiling R from
> > source
> > and/or creating add-on packages.
>
> > In this case, the terminal based executable on Windows, as per the link I
> > provided is called 'Rterm.exe'.
>
> > Note also that the full path to the application, which on Windows has a
> > space
> > in it, needs to use the '~1' contraction. So for R 2.5.1 it should be
> > something
> > like:
>
> >   (setq inferior-R-program-name "C:/progra~1/R/R-2.5.1/bin/Rterm.exe")
>
> > if you are going to use that approach in .emacs. Again, that is described
> > in the
> > aforementioned ESS manual.
>
> > HTH,
>
> > Marc
>
> I want to alter the default in emacs, so I guess I want to create/
> modify an initialization file (.emacs) with the command you've
> provided above. I read the ESS manual and other stuff online, but I'm
> still clueless! Where am I supposed to find or put this .emacs file?
> Do I just create one in C:\devel\emacs\lisp by creating a text file,
> typing in (setq inferior-R-program-name "C:/progra~1/R/R-2.5.1/bin/
> Rterm.exe"), saving, then changing the format to .emacs? I know
> literally nothing about command line programming, and much of this
> manual is beyond my understanding.
>
> Thanks again,
> Hos

I really have to wonder if running R inside of Emacs is a good idea
for you.  It seems that you would be better off running R as a
standalone.

I don't know much about Windows init files, but I suspect  that a
quick internet search for "Windows Emacs startup files" would give
enough information to me so that I would'nt have to ask a newsgroup to
do my homework for me.  There is also the GNU emacs manual that is
pretty good at identifying the locations of all the startup scripts.

.emacs files are customized in Emacs-Lisp (a LISP dialect), and I
suspect that once you do figure out how to find this file, you will be
further overwhelmed with getting it customized.

I suggest that you stick with learning R (it is rather extensive in
its own right)

As to answer your question, if it (.emacs) isn't created, you will
need to create it and put into the directory of your "HOME" env
variable. If you don't have one defined, it will look in C:\

Just my thoughts.

Matt