Re: File header/title box ??

From: Pascal Bourguignon
Subject: Re: File header/title box ??
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2007 20:00:02 +0200

William Case <billlinux@rogers.com> writes:

> Hi;
>
> Does anyone know where I can find a File header/title box tool that I
> can use for C, Lisp and/or shell scripts written in GNUemacs?  I have
> visited the wiki and there is one called header2.el which seems far more
> complex than I need.
>
> Ideally, it would be something that just includes some kind of outline
> box (dependent on the modes comments style) with space for name of file,
> brief description of programs purpose, author, date and time of last
> modification.  That is all I need.
>
> I was about to write a macro to do the above, then thought someone has
> probably already created something simple I could use.  One style would
> suffice.  I could edit for different modes.
>
> Any suggestions, references or copies welcomed.

I guess most people use skeleton to do that.  I use my own command,
M-x pjb-add-header RET (along with M-x pjb-add-change-log-entry and
M-x pjb-change-license) which inserts this kind of header (comment
style depending on major mode):

/* -*- mode:c;coding:utf-8 -*- */
/*****************************************************************************
FILE:               a.c
LANGUAGE:           c
SYSTEM:             POSIX
USER-INTERFACE:     NONE
DESCRIPTION

    XXX

AUTHORS
    <PJB> Pascal Bourguignon <pjb@informatimago.com>
MODIFICATIONS
    2007-08-14 <PJB> Created.
BUGS
LEGAL
    GPL

    Copyright Pascal Bourguignon 2007 - 2007

    This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or
    modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License
    as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version
    2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version.

    This program is distributed in the hope that it will be
    useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied
    warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR
    PURPOSE.  See the GNU General Public License for more details.

    You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public
    License along with this program; if not, write to the Free
    Software Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place, Suite 330,
    Boston, MA 02111-1307 USA

Have a look at http://darcs.informatimago.com/public/emacs/pjb-sources.el
http://www.informatimago.com/develop/emacs/index.html
CVS instructions not valid anymore, use:
darcs get http://darcs.informatimago.com/public/emacs

NOTE: The most fundamental particles in this product are held
together by a "gluing" force about which little is currently known
and whose adhesive power can therefore not be permanently
guaranteed.