Re: deleting minibuffer

From: Piet van Oostrum
Subject: Re: deleting minibuffer
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2007 17:04:39 +0200

>NS> Hi there everybody :-) I'm a brand new emacs user, and I'd like to get
>NS> rid of some of some minibuffers that I generate (for instance
>NS> *Completions* minibuffer) and then the y get in my way when I do the
>NS> C-x -> thing. When I do C-x 0, I get "Attempt to delete minibuffer...".
>NS> Why is attempting to delete minibuffer wrong?

*Completions* is not a minibuffer. The minibuffer is on the bottom of the
frame (window) and is usually only one line high. It is used for additional
input to commands, e.g. file names. Without minibuffer Emacs cannot
function properly. However, the *Completions* can be deleted without
problems. I don't know what you mean with the C-x -> thing.

>NS> Second thing is: how do I force emacs to break lines for me? When I write
>NS> news posts, I want my lines to be less than 70 chars. Is there a way to
>NS> force emacs to break my lines for me?

menu: Options -> Word wrap in text modes. Don't forget to select Options ->
Save Options if you want to keep it the same for fututre Emacs sessions.
The value 70 can be set by customizing fill-column. Use Options ->
Customize Emacs -> Specific Options and specify fill-column in the
minibuffer.
You can then fill in the value 70 in the dialog window and save it for
future session with the appropriate button.

--
Piet van Oostrum <piet@cs.uu.nl>
Private email: piet@vanoostrum.org