Re: doc-view.el now allows searching

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: doc-view.el now allows searching
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2007 09:55:23 +0200

Bill Clementson <billclem@gmail.com> writes:

Hi Bill,

> Tassilo Horn <tassilo@member.fsf.org> writes:
>> Hey, it's a whole bunch of fun.  I've just finished implementing a
>> new feature: Now you can REGEXP-SEARCH in documents.  Please git-pull
>> and give it a try.  The commentary explains how to use it.
>
> Hey, what a coincidence - I was just about to write a note saying
> something along the lines of "now that the speed issue has been
> addressed, the biggest remaining shortfall is..." and you went and
> addressed it before I finished writing the post! ;-)

Something in my head whispered: "Bill wants to search documents...
search documents... uooouuuhhh!"

> It would be nice if there was some way of highlighting the matching
> terms in the document;

Haha, this one was nice! :-)

> however, I can't see how you would be able to do that. Alternatively,
> as each matching page is displayed with "C-S-n", perhaps you could
> display at the bottom of the page the matches on that page with a
> certain amount of context - (e.g. - 10 words on either side of each
> match).

I'll address this later today.

> That would let the reader find the matches more easily on that page.

Yes, when I tested the searching functionality I always thought: "Why's
that page a match, I cannot find that damn "foo" anywhere!" (Till some
minutes later I found that little "football" somewhere.)

Bye,
Tassilo
--
Chuck Norris ordered a Big Mac at Burger King, and got one.