Re: ispell default dictionary keeps reverting to "american"

From: Kevin Brubeck Unhammer
Subject: Re: ispell default dictionary keeps reverting to "american"
Date: Sun, 02 Sep 2007 10:15:07 -0700

Sven Joachim skreiv:
> Look at ispell-change-dictionary's docstring:
>
> ,----
> | ispell-change-dictionary is an interactive compiled Lisp function in
> `ispell.el'.
> | It is bound to <menu-bar> <tools> <spell> <ispell-change-dictionary>.
> | (ispell-change-dictionary dict &optional arg)
> |
> | Change to dictionary dict for Ispell.
> | With a prefix arg, set it "globally", for all buffers.
> | Without a prefix arg, set it "locally", just for this buffer.
> `----
>
> So I'd presume that C-u M-x ispell-change-dictionary (interactively)
> or (setq ispell-change-dictionary "nynorsk" t) (in your .emacs) do the
> trick.  Does that work?

Seems like it should, yeah, but even with the prefix argument, the
value changes just before pressing M-$. I can start emacs, do "C-h v
ispell-dictionary" and it tells me it's set to "nynorsk", then I do M-
$ and I get only American suggestions for spelling, "C-h v ispell-
dictionary" again tells me that it's set to "american".

Right after starting emacs, I can do "C-u M-x ispell-change-dictionary
RET nynorsk", and it tells me "No change, using nynorsk dictionary",
but still on the first spellcheck it'll revert to "american". _After_
the first spellcheck though, I can use ispell-change-dictionary to set
it to "nynorsk" locally, and it stays that way in that buffer
(although setting it globally doesn't override "american", I have to
set it locally in each new buffer _after_ running at least one ispell-
check).