Re: ELPA and EmacsWiki Updates

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: ELPA and EmacsWiki Updates
Date: Sun, 02 Sep 2007 15:05:28 -0600

>>>>> "Nordlöw" == Nordlöw  <per.nordlow@gmail.com> writes:

Nordlöw> I am using a lot of Emacs Extensions from EmacsWiki for example the
Nordlöw> brilliant Icicles. Can ELPA or some other package automatically
Nordlöw> synchronize/update my copies of these extensions with some nice Emacs
Nordlöw> Package?

There is some other installer on the wiki that might help here.  I
don't know, I haven't used it (since it doesn't have the features I
want).

FWIW, the reason that Icicles is not in ELPA is that the Icicles
author did not want it there.

As for other things not being in ELPA, the general reason for this is
that I probably haven't gotten around to it yet.  Smaller (single
file) packages tend to require some comment fixes first, and I'm not
always clear on what people actually use (and what therefore would be
worthwhile to upload).  Larger packages often require some extra
preparation.

And, finally, I like to coordinate with maintainers so that:

* Any needed patches go upstream
* The package has a "nice" activation approach (autoloads comments in
  place, whatever), and
* so that maintainers know to send me new versions when released

I'm happy to have help with any or all of this :-).  If there's enough
demand I'll move the ELPA repository to a site like savannah so that
other folks can do uploads as well.

Tom