Re: eshell: how to alias cp 'cp -i' ?

From: Stefan Reichör
Subject: Re: eshell: how to alias cp 'cp -i' ?
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2007 21:46:05 +0200

David Hansen <david.hansen@gmx.net> writes:

> On Tue, 04 Sep 2007 12:18:52 -0700 furue@hawaii.edu wrote:
>
>> I'm new to eshell and am wondering how to alias
>> "cp" to "cp -i".  As a first step, I tried this:
>
> I have the line
>
> alias mp mplayer $*
>
> in the file ~/.eshell/alias and it seems to be working.  But I forget
> how the line ended up there.  Just manually adding should work.
>
> David

I have the following alias defined:

alias l 'ls -la $*'

This allows to issue commands like
l e*

I tried the following:
alias tcp 'cp -i $*'

But this didn't work. That is probably an emacs bug.

When you only want to copy one file to a destination, you can use the following:
alias tcp 'cp -i $1 $2'

Stefan.