Re: setting an optimal value of gc-cons-threshold

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: setting an optimal value of gc-cons-threshold
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2007 00:58:56 -0400

>    I found quite a few people in their .emacs setting gc-cons-threshold to
>    a different value than the default 400000.
> I did.
>    I wonder if there is a guidance for setting this value.
> So do I. I remember increasing it after several Gnus crashes but
> I did it without reflexion on what value to put here :)

There used to be some benefit to setting it higher for large Emacs sessions
(where GC can take a long time) since it would reduce the frequency of those
GCs.  In Emacs-22, this is not needed any more because of the new
`gc-cons-percentage' variable which automatically causes the limit to grow
as the Emacs process grows, thus preserving a more or less constant
GC overhead.

        Stefan