Re: Building 22.1, on Ubuntu

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Building 22.1, on Ubuntu
Date: Sat, 08 Sep 2007 16:19:35 +0300

> From: David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org>
> Date: Sat, 08 Sep 2007 14:27:09 +0200
>
> > Can we please look at this from the OP's point of view, instead of
> > demonstrating how much smarter we-all are?  That way, we might
> > actually learn how to improve Emacs, in addition to being nice and
> > helpful.
>
> I doubt that making him choose Emacs for his first project of
> compiling anything is nice and helpful or relevant for improving
> Emacs.

I was talking about our attitude when asked for help.  The rest was an
attempt to rationalize the need to be nice and helpful, in case
someone actually needs rationalizations for that.

(And, btw, many packages are nowadays much harder to build than Emacs.
Some of them leave me flabbergasted, notwithstanding the gobs of
packages I've built from sources through the years.)

> He'd be much better served by installing Emacs 22.1 from
> feisty-backports as far as I can see.

If someone suggested him to do that, I wouldn't be complaining about
how we treat newcomers.