Re: Building 22.1, on Ubuntu

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: Building 22.1, on Ubuntu
Date: Sun, 09 Sep 2007 14:18:10 +1000

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> Date: Sat, 8 Sep 2007 16:19:35 +0100
>> From: "Dave Pawson" <dave.pawson@gmail.com>
>> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>>
>> as root, I'm still getting the text based version. Why? No idea.
>
> Probably because it's aliased to "emacs -nw" or something.  root
> sometimes needs to run when there's no X support yet.

but it wil do this automatically anyway if there is no X server found. Try
it, type emacs in a console. You don't need to include -nw and you don't
get any warnings/errors - it just works. I've only needed to use -nw when
doing things like starting emacs on a remote host and I don't want to run
the X version for bandwidth reasons.

My bet is that its because of Xauth.

Tim

--