Re: Abbrev-mode question

From: Andreas Röhler
Subject: Re: Abbrev-mode question
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 21:13:04 +0200

Am Dienstag, 11. September 2007 11:48 schrieb Leschinsky Oleg:
> Hi, everyone.
>
> Recently I partially moved  to Emacs from XEmacs. What prevents me from
> full conversion to Emacs is different behavior of abbrev mode.
>
> In XEmacs abbreviation can consist of several words, so after entering some
> phrase that exists in mode specific abbrev-table and whitespace character
> it get replaced according to abbrev-table.
>
> In Emacs abbrev mode work just like in XEmacs, but replace occurs only with
> one-word abbreviations.
>
> Is there a way to turn on XEmacs-like abbrev mode behavior? Is there
> a way to get this functionality in Emacs without abbrev mode?

Good question: another feature I miss in Gnu Emacs is
the use of upcased abbrevs.

As core functions `expand-abbrev' are written
in C in both Emacsen, that's probably not so easy to
change.

An extended abbrev-mode in Emacs-Lisp checking phrases
all the time may end up slow. Wouldn't undertake that,
rather ask in emacs-devel for an implementation in C.

Andreas Röhler