Charset problem

From: Christian Schröder
Subject: Charset problem
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2007 01:05:19 +0200

Hi newgroup!
I have a question regarding character encoding which might be an Emacs problem or maybe a PuTTY problem or even a general linux problem. If you think my problem is not Emacs related, please let me know. My problem is as follows: I log into my SuSE 10.2 linux server from my Windows box using PuTTY. I then use GNU Emacs (in text mode) to edit files on the linux box. I have some old files which are encoded in ISO-8859-1. When I open these files in Emacs the german umlauts are displayed as question marks. I have tried to set PuTTY's translation to both UTF-8 and ISO-8859-1, but this doesn't change anything. When I set PuTTY's translation to ISO-8859-1 and *type* an umlaut, I see this umlaut only if it is lower-case, but it is followed by a blank. When I save the file and look at it using a hex editor the caracter is encoded in UTF-8. When I type an upper-case umlaut I see a question mark in Emacs and the hex editor shows a 0xC3 byte. When I set PuTTY's translation to UTF-8 and type an umlaut, I see a question mark, then some graphical character and a blank. In the hex editor I see a 3-byte sequence. PuTTY seems to send an ISO-8859-1 encoded character when I set the translation to ISO-8859-1. At least it does in raw mode -- I have verified this using a network packet sniffer; unfortunately, I cannot look inside the SSH packets during the regular communication with the server. So which way do my characters take before they get into the file? How many translation steps are done, and by whom? Are there any Emacs variables that must be set?

Thanks for any help!

Regards,
        Christian