Re: Charset problem

From: Christian Schröder
Subject: Re: Charset problem
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2007 23:50:52 +0200

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
You haven't supplied enough information about your systems to
intelligently guess what might be your problem.  One piece of info
that is missing is the locales of your SuSE server and of your Windows
box.

Sorry!

These are the locale settings on my server:
LANG=posix
LC_CTYPE="posix"
LC_NUMERIC="posix"
LC_TIME="posix"
LC_COLLATE="posix"
LC_MONETARY="posix"
LC_MESSAGES="posix"
LC_PAPER="posix"
LC_NAME="posix"
LC_ADDRESS="posix"
LC_TELEPHONE="posix"
LC_MEASUREMENT="posix"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="posix"
LC_ALL=

Do you need anything else from the linux box?

I'm not sure how to find out the locale of my Windows box, but it's a German windows version, if that is of any help.

Go to one of those question marks and type "C-u C-x =".  Then tell
here what Emacs has to say about those characters.

One example:

    character: ? (0374, 252, 0xfc)
      charset: eight-bit-graphic (8-bit graphic char (0xA0..0xFF))
   code point: 252
       syntax: whitespace
     category:
  buffer code: 0xFC
    file code: 0xFC (encoded by coding system raw-text-unix)
terminal code: not encodable

This is what I expected because the character is a german "u-umlaut".

Also, what does Emacs show in the left edge of the mode line.  There's
a character there that says what Emacs thinks about the encoding of
the file, and what encoding it uses for displaying characters on the
terminal (see the user manual, node "Mode Line", for explanations
about these).  What do you see there when you visit the ISO-8859-1
encoded files?

-:---F1 join.php 11:33PM 0.19 (PHP Abbrev)--L10--C30--Top-----------

So it seems to be "no code conversion". I tried to change the coding system for keyboard and/or terminal, but it did not change anything. It seems as if I still don't understand what's happening. :(

I have tried to set PuTTY's translation to both UTF-8 and ISO-8859-1

Are you talking about the Window->Translation page in the PuTTY's
session configuration dialog?

Exactly!

Did you click the "Save" button on the "Session" page, after changing
those settings, and then restarted the session?  If not, the new
settings might not be in effect.

I changed the current session's settings and I think that the settings actually came into effect because the behaviour changed. Unfortunately, I was not able to get it to behave the way I want it ...

PuTTY seems to send an ISO-8859-1 encoded character when I set the translation to ISO-8859-1.

The "translation" setting is not for sending, it's for receiving: it
tells PuTTY what font to use when it gets characters with the 8th bit
set.

Yes, I have read this in the manual, but I have also found some references where it says that the same encoding is used for sending. If not, what does PuTTY send if I type some german characters on my keyboard? Can I somehow influence what it sends?

So which way do my characters take before they get into the file? How many translation steps are done, and by whom? Are there any Emacs variables that must be set?

Before answering these questions, we need to know the information
about your locales.  It's hard to help you before that, except by wild
guessing.

Sorry for giving too little information and many thanks for your help!

Regards,
        Christian