Re: Charset problem

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Charset problem
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 16:58:53 +0300

> From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Christian_Schr=F6der?= <chschroe@math.uni-goettingen.de>
> Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 14:41:54 +0200
>
> This is really different from before (with POSIX locale), but it did not
> solve my problem. :(
>
> > Try "M-x set-language-environment RET Latin-1 RET".  Does this help?
>
> Doesn't change anything, no matter of the locale I use.
>
> Do you have any other ideas?

Can you post the offending file (as a binary attachment), or at least
its small fragment with the characters shown as question marks?
Perhaps the file itself mixes Latin-1 and non-Latin-1 characters, or
has some other weird bytes in it.

Btw, does it help to visit the file with "C-x RET c Latin-1 RET C-x C-f"
instead of the usual "C-x C-f"?