Re: Charset problem

From: Christian Schröder
Subject: Re: Charset problem
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 13:11:02 +0200

Peter Dyballa wrote:
Is it possible to make Emacs send me the ISO-8859-1 encoded umlauts as UTF-8 characters?

Of course. When you launch GNU Emacs make it see environment variable LC_CTYPE be like de_DE.UTF-8. Then it would automatically switch to UTF-8 use. Otherwise this statement in some init file can make it:

    (prefer-coding-system    'utf-8)

Problems can arise when the file-name-coding-system is now different ...

Ok, I seem to have found the cause for all of my problems. I have been using an Emacs init file for several years now, without ever having a closer look to it. It contained the following line:

(standard-display-european 1)

which I assume was useful long ago, but was now not only obsolete, but even harmful. After I removed this command from the init file the system behaves as expected. I now also finally see a correct mode line.

Thanks a lot for all your helpful comments. At least I have learned some tricks about how to find out what's going on.

Kind regards,
        Christian