Re: SVN update in GNU Emacs 22.1.50

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: SVN update in GNU Emacs 22.1.50
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 14:19:30 +0200

Am 16.09.2007 um 23:46 schrieb David Kastrup:

Mathias Megyei writes:

Peter Dyballa writes:
Hello!

I was trying to update a software by SVN. I launched GNU Emacs with -
Q and issued

        M-x load-library RET vc RET

Unnecessary.

Then I issued

        M-x load-library RET vc-svn RET

Unnecessary.

I wanted to make sure that this code was loaded. When I asked GNU Emacs to complete vc-svn- function names it do not show a "reasonable" set of them. And the load-library calls did not change this situation either ... this got me puzzled and write the eMail.

Try opening a file in a Subversion work directory, and Emacs should
_know_ what version it corresponds to (see the mode line).  And try
C-x v C-h to get a list of VC commands.

Yes, this leads a bit further! Thank you! Alas, some (most) of my downloaded code does not receive updates!

For the SVN method vc-retrieve-snapshot brings a buffer *vc* with this contents:

        svn: '' does not appear to be a URL

(Isn't this bad English? Shouldn't it be 'an URL'?) Svn-status-update- cmd from psvn.el retrieves updates for six files.

In the case of the git method my CPU is glowing in red for half an hour. No newer files can be found by find afterwards. When I then invoke 'git pull' on the command line both network and CPU (and disk) are doing their work for some lengthy period (more than an hour now – OK, a 'make distclean' is done too!) and are updating the code of X11R7 clients.

In the case of CVS (with GNU Emacs 23.0.50) vc-retrieve-snapshot seems to work like cvs-up from pcvs.el. I should wait until some conflict arises ...

So there is no substitute for pcvs.el and psvn.el now – why is the family of vc-*.el files then autoloaded? Only because I am using the non-productive and unstable GNU Emacsen 22.1.50 or 23.0.50 while released GNU Emacs 22.1 would not? And the p(cvs|svn) Elisp libraries have one more obvious advantage: they can run in parallel!

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

  Pete

The light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off due to budget cuts.