Re: doc-view: Document quality and find-file

From: Amy Templeton
Subject: Re: doc-view: Document quality and find-file
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 14:59:07 -0400

Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@Web.DE> wrote:
> Am 17.09.2007 um 17:17 schrieb Amy Templeton:
> > (1) Is there any way to increase the image quality? The letters of the
> > PDF files seem to end up somewhat butchered, making some hard to read.

> One option could be to correct the default resolution with which
> Ghostscript is converting the vector fonts in a PDF document to bitmaps
> ("-r100"). Maybe your screen has coarser or finer resolution, so you might
> update the value.

Hm. Well, I tried setting it to 150, and it certainly makes it more readable
(also, larger!) However, I seem to be running into the problem there that
sometimes an article will be scanned "landscape"-style, in which case I
can't scroll over, and 125 seems to have *both* problems with a lot of the
particular articles in question. Oh well. I'll mess with that some more and
see if I can find one that works.

> Another cause could be that -dGraphicsAlphaBits=4" can make lines that
> should join end before the joint. Setting the numerical value of 4 to 1
> can correct this behaviour.

I'm not sure whether this helped or not, but I'll keep it at one. Thanks!

> Another option might be to substitute the default output format "png16m"
> (best suited for 24 bit RGB displays) with any of "pnggray" for greyscale,
> "png256" for 8-bit colour, "png16" for 4-bit colour, or "pngmono" for
> black-and-white. They all won't show the same amount of anti-aliasing
> power!

Interesting. I think I'll stick with the default here, because that's the
kind of display I'm using, but I may try the others later on.

Thanks a lot!

Amy

--
Tehee quod she, and clapte the wyndow to.
                -- Geoffrey Chaucer