Re: an inconvenient difference in Emacs 22

From: Steve Newcomb
Subject: Re: an inconvenient difference in Emacs 22
Date: 21 Sep 2007 22:21:54 -0400

> > "Steve Newcomb" <srn@coolheads.com> wrote:
> >
> > In older versions of Emacs, C-X C-F ENTER has always re-read the
> > file associated with the buffer the user was already in.
> >
> > In my shiny new Emacs 22, this doesn't happen.  Instead,
> > what is opened is the directory
>
> I believe that this was done deliberately.
>
> FWIW, you can do `C-x C-f C-n' to get what you want (at the cost of another
> keystroke). The `C-n' retrieves the default value, which is the name of the
> current file.

FYI: That didn't work.

From: "Denis Bueno" <dbueno@gmail.com>
> I believe you can also do `C-c C-v RET'.

FYI:  That didn't work either.

I suspect these things didn't work because of my own .emacs, which
is old and woolly.

> If you often revert a buffer (e.g. re-read a file), you might consider
> binding `revert-buffer' to a quick key sequence - I use `S-f1', for
> instance.

Good idea.  That worked!

Thanks for these suggestions.

In the end, an even better approach, at least for our purposes, may be
global-auto-revert-mode.  I am chagrined to discover that this mode
has been around for a while, and I just didn't know it.  Until I read
your suggestions, I had never understood that, in the jargon of Emacs,
"revert-buffer", means "update the buffer".

I'm curious about this usage of the word "revert".  "Revert" normally
connotes some sort of retrograde motion.  As far as I know, it never
connotes forward motion at all, much less forward motion undertaken to
catch up with someone else's forward motion.  But, until I'm
corrected, that's how I'll understand "revert" in the context of Emacs.

-- Steve