RE: My emacs was upgraded and I am a novice again

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: My emacs was upgraded and I am a novice again
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2007 09:23:24 -0700

> I find the emacs info pages a pain to navigate compared to searchable,
> indexable html pages derived from indexed xml. That's my bias I guess.
>
> I was trying to be helpful Eli.

Nothing wrong with your motivation. And, yes, trying to provide a useful index
(in whatever form) usually requires some human effort and judgment - automatic
indexing is somewhat limited in practice.

Eli, too, was trying to be helpful - and he was helpful, no? You'll find that
usually when Eli learns of another possible path to some term or some section
in an Emacs  manual, he adds it to one or more manual indexes. And he typically
asks, when someone has difficulty finding information, _how_ they were going
about it unsuccessfully, in order to try to improve the search process and
indexing. In this case, he will no doubt add some terms to accomodate your
quandary. You need only make it clear what you are searching for and how you
went about it.

You are right that it can be problematic (and useful!) to collect user input
about what should perhaps be new index entries. Only a certain number of users
will use help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org and let others know about their frustrated
attempts to look something up. But if a user does raise the question here, Eli
will usually respond and take the user's quest into consideration.

You could also create a page on EmacsWiki to collect such keywords:
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/SiteMap. Then, either Eli or some other
Emacs developer might occasionally check what has been added there, or you or
someone else could occasionally post here any new entries that are collected
there. Emacs Wiki is an incredible collaborative resource, and it's low-key,
dumb-easy to use.

As frequenters of this list and emacs-devel@gnu.org will attest, Eli and I
don't always agree ;-), but followup to improve the manual indexes is one area
(there are others) where I think he does a terrific job. The point here is that
your proposal to collect unsuccessful user search attempts, synonyms and the
like can be plugged into the existing mechanisms such as manual indexes, and
Eli is quite helpful in this regard.

Wrt difficulty navigating Emacs Info pages: try Icicles -
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/Icicles. Command `icicle-Info-index' (`i'
in Info) lets you easily navigate index entries, and command
`icicle-Info-goto-node' (`g' in Info) lets you easily browse Info nodes. They
let you type a substring or other regexp and zip around all index terms or node
names that match, in any order. See
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/Icicles_-_Info_Enhancements.

And (no relation with Icicles) with Emacs 22, you can use incremental search
throughout a manual. If something has no index entry, try repeated `C-s'. Then
let help-gnu-emacs know if you think what you were looking for should be added
to the index.

Wrt "indexable html pages derived from indexed xml": It's not a bad idea, and
it has been discussed before by Emacs development contributors. Info is
currently not XML or HTML based, and a move in such a direction is not trivial.
But all ideas and implementation and design efforts are appreciated -
emacs-devel@gnu.org.