Re: emacs-cvs-unicode

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: emacs-cvs-unicode
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 10:57:20 +0200

Am 24.09.2007 um 10:41 schrieb Thierry Volpiatto:

I have installed emacs-cvs-23.0.0-r7 from gentoo.
every things is working correctly except the french accentued
characters. My configuration is the same that on emacs-cvs-23.0.50
where everythings works perfectly.
When i hit one of these keys (e with accents say...) i have first in
mini-buffer the right char followed by a "-"
If i hit a second time the same key, i have (in the current buffer now)
a chinese or japonese sign instead of my "e accent"!!!
Do i have something else to modify to make emacs-unicode working
with french accents ?

Did you try to launch Unicode Emacs 23.0.0 with the option -Q? This makes it run not using any of your pre-Unicode settings.

To find out what "code" any Emacs sees when a key is pressed, use C-h k <key press or mouse event>. You'll also "see" when input is finished, then the *Help* buffer will open or change its previous contents.

To make Unicode Emacs 23.0.0 a very useful tool don't use set- language-environment! Rather take care to set environment variable LC_CTYPE to something like fr_FR.UTF-8 and make sure that the value of file-name-coding-system and default-file-name-coding-system is the one your system actually uses. There is no unify-8859-on-decoding- mode or unify-8859-on-encoding-mode necessary. For me, on Mac OS X, LC_CTYPE and (prefer-coding-system 'utf-8) do the most.

--
Greetings

  Pete

The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck
is the day they start selling vacuum cleaners.
                                    Ernest Jan Plugge