Re: loosing selection of region

From: sandro dentella
Subject: Re: loosing selection of region
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2007 00:10:41 -0700

On 27 Set, 13:05, Eli Zaretskii <e...@gnu.org> wrote:
> > From: sandro dentella <san...@e-den.it>
> > Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 02:47:01 -0700
>
> >   since I moved to ubuntu emacs behave a  little bit different. One of
> > these differences is very annoying. In many situation I loose the
> > region definition. E.g.: if I 'indent-rigidly' (bound to C-x C-i)
> > after the first time I loose the
> > definition of the region and I cannot go any further.
>
> > Similarly, if I mark a point and extend it using C-n, the moment it
> > arrives at the end of the file it forgets the position of the mark,
> > and no region gets selected.
>
> Does it help if you invoke Emacs with the --no-site-file switch?

Yes it does! in fact it goes back to the behaviour I was used to.
Digging into the /etc/emacs-start.d I found that emacs-extra package
was responsible . Emacs-extra also introduced the annoying color
choice that I needed to overwrite...

The annoying line was: (setq next-line-add-newlines             nil)

Thanks for the hint

sandro
*:-)