tab completion for mode derived from comint-mode

From: Martin Rubey
Subject: tab completion for mode derived from comint-mode
Date: 28 Sep 2007 13:20:22 +0200

Dear Gurus,

I wanted to add simple filename completion to my axiom-mode today (axiom is a
free computer algebra system, in case you care).

So I said

  (define-key axiom-mode-map [tab] 'comint-dynamic-complete-filename)

After that, hitting tab after an initial letter produced a list of possible
completions in another buffer.  Great!

BUT: hitting tab again advanced the cursor, inserting a tab, which I really do
not want.

I'd like to have behaviour as in shell mode, where hitting tab again does
nothing or, which I would like better actually, pages through the list of
completions.

While we are at it, I'd really want to have emacs list files with suffix

.input, .spad, .as

only, but I hope that should be easily customisable.  (I want to have this
behaviour only in axiom-mode, of course.)

Many thanks,

Martin