RE: Emacs documentation.

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Emacs documentation.
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2007 19:18:06 -0700

> Alan> I didn't express myself very well.  I think what I meant by
> Alan> "special purpose editor" was one that interprets the XML data
> Alan> structure and hides it from the user, much like Open Office does
> Alan> with ODF.
>
> This is sort of a diversion, but I've heard talk from time to time
> about writing such an editor as an Emacs mode.  As an existing
> example, there's `enriched.el'.  (Open etc/enriched.doc for an
> example, or look at it with find-file-literally to see the contents as
> they appear on disk.)
>
> A full ODF editor would be a major undertaking.

FWIW, and not terribly relevant to Emacs:

I didn't follow everything in this thread, but Adobe Framemaker does what
you describe: it is XML underneath (DTD or XML Schema), and users manipulate
things in WYSIWYG fashion. However, they can still see and manipulate the
document structure, without having to look at the XML code. It is in fact
quite a good XML round-trip editor for document-centric XML use cases.