Re: Installation problem.

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: Installation problem.
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2007 10:49:30 +0200

Am 04.10.2007 um 04:22 schrieb Warren Oates:

That's a good way to get Emacs for OS X, the builds are reasonably
up-to-date. If you have the developer tools, though, you can build your
own, one for the Terminal, one for the GUI

There is no sense in doing so! The Carbon Emacsen can be run in Terminal without window: /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Emacs -nw. Only the Cocoa or GNUSTEP Emacs.app, http://emacs-on- aqua.sourceforge.net/, coming from the NeXT, has a limitation which keeps it from launching without window in Terminal.

http://macwiki.sourceforge.jp/emacs/test/ (http:// irodori.sakura.ne.jp/carbon-emacs/index.en.xhtml for Panther) offers a GNU Emacs 22.1.50 based Carbon Emacs with a lot of extra software integrated into its application bundle, for example Aspell, eMail clients, additional major modes.

--
Greetings

  Pete

If my theory of relativity is proven successful, Germany will claim me as a German, and France will declare that I am a citizen of the world. Should my theory prove untrue, France will say that I am a German, and Germany will declare that I am a Jew. -- Albert Einstein, 1929