Re: doc-view: Document quality and find-file

From: Amy Templeton
Subject: Re: doc-view: Document quality and find-file
Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2007 14:47:54 -0400

Tassilo Horn <tassilo@member.fsf.org> wrote:
> Sorry for the late answer, but I was in holidays and had a lot of other
> stuff to do.

Fair enough.

> > Amy Templeton <amy.g.templeton@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> (2)  When using "M-x doc-view" to find a file, Emacs tries very hard to
> >>      ignore PDF files

> Indeed, that's very bad.  I've fixed it.

Great!

> Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@Web.DE> writes:
> > Would it make sense to add some file types to file-name-handler-alist
> > and make doc-view their handler?

> No, I think those handlers are for other use-cases and much to complex
> here.

> > Then, I think, a simple v in dired buffer would invoke some doc-view
> > method for exactly this file and file name completion would not be
> > needed ...

> I advised `view-file'.  If you hit `v' on a pdf, ps or dvi file now,
> you'll be asked if you want to use doc-view instead of view-file.

Ooh, that seems like a good feature, and actually makes me wonder whether
something like AUCTeX integration might be possible at some point (modifying
the command to view a file so that it could optionally be with doc-view. Of
course, I haven't actually looked at that code yet but it could be cool.

Amy

--
There is nothing which cannot be answered by means of my doctrine," said a
monk, coming into a teahouse where Nasrudin sat.