Re: doc-view: Document quality and find-file

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: doc-view: Document quality and find-file
Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2007 21:13:39 +0200

Amy Templeton <amy.g.templeton@gmail.com> writes:

Hi Amy,

>> I advised `view-file'.  If you hit `v' on a pdf, ps or dvi file now,
>> you'll be asked if you want to use doc-view instead of view-file.
>
> Ooh, that seems like a good feature,

BTW, I've changed dired-view-file instead of this advice.  Advices
aren't very popular with a lot of emacs devs.  Unfortunately the change
is still pending till RMS gives his ok.

> and actually makes me wonder whether something like AUCTeX integration
> might be possible at some point (modifying the command to view a file
> so that it could optionally be with doc-view. Of course, I haven't
> actually looked at that code yet but it could be cool.

That should be possible, but I'm not sure if doc-view is a good viewer
for documents you're currently editing because each time it would need
to convert the whole document again.  For small docs it might be ok,
anyway.

Bye,
Tassilo