Re: Objective-C and gdb-ui

From: Nick Roberts
Subject: Re: Objective-C and gdb-ui
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 17:36:14 +1300

 > I wonder if anybody programming in ObjC already have support
 > for the following things in
 > *locals of * window
 > - Print of NSString as string of chars instead of address only
 > - Pretty print of collections, e.g. I want to be able to query
 > collection size, specific elems and edit memory of the elements
 > (basically NSValue) from the *locals * window..

I've never programmed in ObjC.  I see that GDB can be used to debug
Objective-C (assuming this is the same language).  I don't know how
data structures are printed but Emacs currently displays them in the
speedbar.  It uses a feature of GDB called "variable objects".  These are
described in the GDB info manual under the node GDB/MI.  The relevant file
for this in GDB is varobj.c, but inspection of this file shows that unlike
C++ and Java, Objective-C isn't treated specially but as for C.

 > If none has it, then I'll start hacking gdb-ui.el by myself..

That would be great but you might need to make changes to GDB too.  Also
eventually I would like to display watch expressions using tree-widget.el
rather than the speedbar as the icons are more suitable and the timer functions
of the speedbar aren't needed/wanted by gdb-ui.el

Please post to emacs-devel@gnu.org when you need help.