Re: multiple emacs servers

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: multiple emacs servers
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 09:35:57 +0200

On 10/18/07, David L <idht4n@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm trying to use  M-x set-variable from an open emacs session to
> set the "server-name" variable.  But the only variable that emacs
> will let me set that starts with "server" is "server-mode".  I can't
> even describe-variable "server-name" until after the server is
> started and I still can't set-variable server-name even after it is
> started.

Yes. `server-name' is not autoloaded, so it is not defined until you
load server.el; if you do "M-x load-library server [RET]" you'll be
able to describe-variable `server-name' before starting the server,
but it won't be useful, as server-name has no documentation string.
That's also the reason you can not use M-x set-variable with it
(variables have to be specially marked as user options to be setable
with set-variable).

I suggest you locally patch your server.el, changing this line:

(defvar server-name "server")

to this

(defcustom server-name "server"
  "Name of the server process."
  :group 'server
  :type 'string)

recompile server.el, and try again.

> But I don't think the procedure in the
> documentation works.?

Well, certainly it should be possible to change the server name before
starting the server, yes.

             Juanma