Re: buffer for unopened file?

From: Amy Templeton
Subject: Re: buffer for unopened file?
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 11:18:53 -0400

"David L" <idht4n@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'd like to be able to give emacs a big list of filenames and have each
> file appear as if it has been visited with respect to having it appear in
> my buffer list. But only when changing to that buffer do I want it to
> actually open the file. Is that possible? It takes a minute or so to open
> all of the files and wastes memory to open them all. But I like to have a
> menu of the files I might be needing.

I don't know about that, but I'm sure it's possible. I solution I'm fond of
is registers. For example...

(set-register ?e '(file . "~/.emacs.el"))

...allows me to use `C-x r j e' to jump to my .emacs file, whether it was
previously open or not. I believe it's also possible to specify positions
within the file. Registers are pretty cool.

Amy

--
Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after.