Re: Polish characters in emacs

From: Wojtek
Subject: Re: Polish characters in emacs
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 16:36:19 -0000

On Oct 12, 3:44 pm, Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyba...@Web.DE> wrote:
> Am 12.10.2007 um 21:03 schrieb Wojtek:
>
> > My IT people are going to take away the Fedora 5 machine so this may
> > be a mute point but I would
> > like to learn what is going on.
>
> What is the version of GNU Emacs on Fedora Core 5? Probably some
> early version 21.
>
> What is the phenomenon by which you judge that GNU Emacs can't
> display Óó                ? I don't have more
> guesses ...

When I enter letters with diacritic marks on the Fedora 5 emacs, I
just see black
boxes instead of the letters.  When I enter   on the Fedora 5 emacs
and then use
C-x = to examine the character, it is character 331813 (0x51025).
However on the
Fedora 7 machine it is character 2353 (0x931).  Clearly(?) the same
keyboard message
is not being transmitted to the Fedora 5 emacs.

> Have you checked lucidasanstypewriter-12 font with xfd? You can use a
> bigger size to see the glyphs more clearly. (I was writing of the
> TrueType fonts, which are not restricted to some ISO Latin encoding.)
> Have you checked with xfontsel or xlsfonts which fonts exist on
> *your* local Fedora Core 7 system that support Polish characters? Can
> you pass such a font's name to GNU Emacs? (Since the DISPLAY variable
> on the Fedora Core 5 system is set to your local Fedora Core 7
> system, remote GNU Emacs uses your local fonts. So the chances are
> excellent that Unicode fonts exist - although they might not be
> installed. And from these, ISO Latin or MS sub-encodings are
> automatically derived, so you can make GNU Emacs' memory use small.)
> Check X11's Font Path (xset -q) and correct it if necessary, i.e.
> there are more directories with fonts than the X server knows.

I have tried various fonts when launching emacs with no change.

> You can do the same in Cygwin ...

When I connect to each machine from Cygwin I get the same behaviour.

> Which encoding is displayed in mode-line?

I have two dashes at the beginning of my mode line in both emacses

> If you want some help you have to give the answers we ask for.
> They're not meant to waste your (leisure) time.

I should add that I am running emacs 21.4 on Fedora 5 and emacs 22.1
on Fedora 7.  The reason that the behaviour puzzles me is that I
understand that both of the emacses are getting their fonts from the
same place and hence it is (based on my understanding) a matter of
emacs displaying the font.
When I ask emacs to describe-coding-system I get that it is utf-8 for
terminal output in both emacses.

I have used xfd to look at the font and there I can see the required
diacritical marks.

Thank you for your comments.
Wojtek