Re: Internationalization

From: Mirko
Subject: Re: Internationalization
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 12:51:37 -0700

On Sep 30, 11:31 am, Girish Kulkarni <geeree@gmail.com> wrote:
> Using GNU Emacs 22.1.1 on Ubuntu 7.04. I have a limited understanding
> of fonts related issues in Linux, and three possibly naive questions:
>
>  0. I installed theIntlfontsdistribution today, to try out the
> Devanagari font support in Emacs. Theinstallationwas okay, and I
> also added theinstallationdirectory to the font path. The README
> file that came with the distribution then says something like, "The
> file Emacs.ap contains X resource setting of fontsets for various size
> fonts (14, 16, 18, and 24 dots)." Could somebody explain this to me?
>
>  1. I tried entering some Devanagari characters in an empty buffer
> using a Devanagari ITRANS keyboard and found that now Emacs could
> render them, but not quite correctly -- the ligatures do not form at
> all. Devanagari ligatures is usually a hard issue everywhere; how has
> Emacs solved it?
>
>  2. Although my Emacs could render these few Devanagari characters
> that I entered, it only showed  empty boxes in the HELLO file. Why did
> this happen?
>
> Maybe I should spend some more time with the Info pages on
> internationalization. But it would be nice if somebody bothers to
> explain.
>
> --
> Girish Kulkarni - Allahabad, India -http://girish.50webs.com

This is how I solved it:

I am installing emacs 22.1 on RedHat Enterprise Linux 5, and I could
not find
rpm file.

For the Intlfonts I followed the instructions to the letter.  I placed
the Emacs.ap file into
/usr/lib64/X11/app-defaults/Emacs.

To explain:
 - I guessed the directory after searching the filesystem for /X11
directories.
 - I am on a 64-bit machine, and I that is why I went to /usr/lib64
instead of /usr/lib
 - I had to create the app-defaults directory as there was none there.
 - I did not need to inform the X server.  But I had to restart
emacs.

HTH,

Mirko