Re: can't get "help"

From: cycjec
Subject: Re: can't get "help"
Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2007 18:07:36 GMT

Joel J. Adamson <jadamson@partners.org> wrote:

> Try f1 for help instead of C-h, your terminal may be sending C-h as
> delete.  F1 C-f gets you the FAQ

On-line Help, Printed Manuals, Other Sources of Help

That's exactly what it's doing.  From the FAQ:
13:  I'm just starting Emacs; how do I do basic editing?

  Type "C-h t" to invoke the self-paced tutorial.  Just typing `C-h' enters
  the help system.

  WARNING: Your system administrator may have changed `C-h' to act like DEL
  to deal with local keyboards.  You can use M-x help-for-help instead to
  invoke help.  To discover what key (if any) invokes help on your system,
  type "M-x where-is RET help-for-help RET".  This will print a
  comma-separated list of key sequences in the echo area.  Ignore the last
  character in each key sequence listed.  Each of the resulting key
  sequences invokes help.

  NOTE: Emacs help works best if it is invoked by a single key whose value
  should be stored in the variable help-char.