Re: hippie-expand show possible expansions for files

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: hippie-expand show possible expansions for files
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2007 17:44:53 +0100

Am 07.11.2007 um 16:27 schrieb Bourgneuf Francois:

I work under Windows and neither hippie-expand nor comint-dynamic- complete could expand anything after c:\program Files

I am not working under Losedows and I am not writing a path with ``\ ´´ (except I want to "escape" SPC or such in the path name) – and the latter makes an important difference! When you start with ``c:/program ´´ comint-dynamic-complete will work and probably expand to ``C:/ Program\ Files/´´ ...

The reason is that backslash is used as a metacharacter that cannot stand for itself but gives other characters a particular meaning. So, when you write ``\p´´ it's not a sequence of ``\´´ and ``p´´ but a ``backslashed p´´, some new entity.

--
Greetings

  Pete

Well done is better than well said.