adding holidays to calendar

From: Stuart McLean
Subject: adding holidays to calendar
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2007 11:38:38 GMT

Hi,

I am having problems adding holidays using the variable
`other-holidays'. I have tried setting this in customize, using (as an
example) Canadian Thanksgiving. In `other-holidays' using the
customize interface I put:

((holiday-float 10 1 2 "Canadian Thanksgiving")) and save. I evaluate
.emacs (which loads the custom file at the end) and test by entering
the calendar buffer and typing `h' on the 2nd Monday in October. It
comes up with "Columbus Day" so I assume that the regular holiday is
somehow clobbering the val of `other-holidays'? I still want to know
that it is Columbus day, however, so I don't want to remove that
holiday.

If I unset the variable in customize, and set `other-holidays' in my
.emacs, then the custom file (loaded at the end of .emacs) seems to
clobber the setting with nil, but setting `other-holidays' after the
custom file is loaded still doesn't work.

Does anyone have any idea what I might be doing wrong?

Regards,

Stuart