Re: Why are RegExps never working?

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: Why are RegExps never working?
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2007 16:52:04 +0100

Am 11.11.2007 um 16:19 schrieb Sven Bretfeld:

This works perfectly (of course). I will search in the info for the
difference between a line feed and an end of line, which is not clear
to me.

I'm not sure whether it's described so clearly. The main thing is that text is line oriented and therefore $ states end of line. And therefore regular expressions end at line's end. So in the middle of the from part $ cannot have another meaning than the character $ itself. If the from part has to stretch over more than one line, then each line ending has to be expressed with the linefeed character that separates the text into more than one line. Could be sometimes a carriage return (^M) has to be used, or some combination of carriage return and linefeed ...

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

  Pete

If my theory of relativity is proven successful, Germany will claim me as a German, and France will declare that I am a citizen of the world. Should my theory prove untrue, France will say that I am a German, and Germany will declare that I am a Jew. -- Albert Einstein, 1929