Re: Why are RegExps never working?

From: Sven Bretfeld
Subject: Re: Why are RegExps never working?
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 10:53:21 +0100

Hi Peter

> Am 12.11.2007 um 00:24 schrieb Sven Bretfeld:
>
>> Sometimes I search and replace longer regexps
>> and wonder why some are always skipped. Now I understand: these are
>> the ones extending over more than one line.
>
> Have you thought of using longlines? As far as I understand it
> presents you in GNU Emacs lines formatted to the width of the window
> or frame while in the buffer (or file) the lines have the length of a
> whole paragraph ...

That would be quite inconvenient for other editing operations. My
files are usually quite unpredictable, since they come from different
authors writing in MS-Word. People seem to do very strange things when
they work with Word. So much of the editing must be done by
hand. But it might be a good idea to do at least the standard
replacements with long lines.

Greetings

Sven