Re: Gnu Emacs under Japanese MS Windows

From: Ben Bullock
Subject: Re: Gnu Emacs under Japanese MS Windows
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 22:40:34 +0000 (UTC)

On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 15:28:58 +0000, Jason Rumney wrote:

> On 10 Nov, 02:40, "Ben Bullock" <benkasminbull...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Thanks, I've upgraded the Emacs but unfortunately this new one is not
>> quite as good as the one I removed.
>
> There was a regression in the last week before 22.1 was released? Can
> you be more specific?

The old version was the one from EmacsW32, which was better integrated
into Windows XP than the bare Gnu one. For example, the bare Gnu one
doesn't get registered somehow, so when Windows asks you for options for
using on a particular file, the choice of Emacs doesn't come up. With
EmacsW32, it worked better in various ways including this one.

>> In fact the problems with the Japanese were solved by adding some
>> things to .emacs:
>>
>> (prefer-coding-system 'shift_jis)
>> (setq default-buffer-file-coding-system 'shift_jis) (setq
>> file-name-coding-system 'shift_jis)
>>
>> (set-default-coding-systems 'shift_jis) (set-terminal-coding-system
>> 'shift_jis)
>>
>> (set-keyboard-coding-system 'shift_jis) (set-language-environment
>> 'Japanese)
>>
>> Now it works, although I'm not sure which bits are necessary and which
>> aren't.
>
> None of it should be necessary if you are using a Japanese version of
> Windows, configured for Japanese as the default language for all
> programs.

Well, it is.