Re: Gnu Emacs under Japanese MS Windows

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: Gnu Emacs under Japanese MS Windows
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2007 08:59:44 -0000

On 13 Nov, 04:30, "Ben Bullock" <benkasminbull...@gmail.com> wrote:
> "Jason Rumney" <jasonrum...@gmail.com> wrote in message
>
> 1194917576.638938.16920@d55g2000hsg.googlegroups.com">news:1194917576.638938.16920@d55g2000hsg.googlegroups.com...

> >> Well, it is.
>
> > If you create a bug report (from the Help menu, or with M-x report-
> > emacs-bug), are the following lines exactly as here, or are they
> > different?
>
> > Important settings:
> >  value of $LC_ALL: nil
> >  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
> >  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
> >  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
> >  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
> >  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
> >  value of $LC_TIME: nil
> >  value of $LANG: JPN
> >  locale-coding-system: cp932
> >  default-enable-multibyte-characters: t
>
> I got
>
> Important settings:
>   value of $LC_ALL: nil
>   value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
>   value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
>   value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
>   value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
>   value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
>   value of $LC_TIME: nil
>   value of $LANG: en_GB
>   locale-coding-system: cp932
>   default-enable-multibyte-characters: t
>
> The language seems to be set to en_GB.
>
> But I had a look at the control panel, and it says that the system language
> is Japanese:
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/bnz/1994894262/

There's another setting on the third tab of that dialog. In English,
it is labelled "Language for non-Unicode programs", but that is
misleading, since it is what determines the language that is returned
from all the locale functions, whether Unicode or not. The settings on
the first page only affect things like number formatting.