Re: Emacs and Telnet

From: Will
Subject: Re: Emacs and Telnet
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2007 22:17:41 +0100

Hi,

thanks for the replies so far. My question remains:
How can I connect via telnet/ftp to a remote server via Emacs?
I'd like to use the commands
M-x telnet and C-x C-f /<user>@<server>:/   .

Sofar I have tried out:

1) Telnet: GNU Emacs/W32

;; .emacs
(require 'telnet)
(setq-default telnet-program "puttytel")

;; Interactive
M-x telnet RET <SERVERNAME> RET

=> starts Putty as an external program, not as as subprocess within Emacs, that's not what I want
2) Telnet: GNU Emacs/W32

;; .emacs
(require 'telnet)
(setq-default telnet-program "telnet")

;; interactive
M-x telnet RET <SERVERNAME> RET

=> Buffer *telnet-<Servername>*
Process telnet-mimir _exited abnormally_ with code 255
=> Buffer *Messages*
if: Process telnet-<Servername> not running
3) Telnet: cygwin-shell/cmd-shell in Emacs

> telnet <server>
=> login successful!

> ssh <server>
=> login failed!
Pseudo-terminal will not be allocated because stdin is not a terminal.
(4) Telnet: Cygwin-shell/CMD shell external (not in Emacs)

=> telnet and ssh login are successful!

5) FTP: Connecting via FTP with Emacs
;; Interactive
M-x /<user>@<server>:/

=> Buffer *Messages*

Opening FTP connection to <server>...done
Logging in as user <user>@<server>...done
Getting PWD...done
Doing CD...done
Listing /<user>@<server>:/...

=> gets stalled...

6) FTP: Cygwin/CMD shell in Emacs

=> Login possible, but gets stalled when entering commands (e.g. ls)

7) FTP: Cygwin/CMD shell external (not in Emacs)

=> login successful, no problems when using commands (e.g. ls)

Sorry, for this long email.

Best, Will