Re: tramp/ange-ftp: error in creation of dir's

From: Martin Steffen
Subject: Re: tramp/ange-ftp: error in creation of dir's
Date: 19 Nov 2007 12:07:54 +0100

    >> As another observation: changing the tramp-method from "ftp" to
    >> "smb" (samba), then the dired-create-directory works (only that I
    >> like to avoid that protocol, as I get problems with long
    >> file-names).

    Michael> No surprise. Internally, a complete different machinery is
    Michael> working for you. And which problems with long file names are
    Michael> you running into?

Well, the problems are that it abbreviates the file-names.
So, concretely.

I wanted to copy a whole batch of files, all with similar file names
(photos, whose file names carry the date-hour-minutes etc which makes the
file names long), So I marked all of them in dired, copied all of them over
the net in a batch to the file-server, using "smb" as protocol. But that
breaks, as some of the files in the target system get the same file-name
via abbreviation, which results in name clash and the copy-batch stops at
that point.

    Michael> Best regards, Michael.

    Michael> PS: keeping h-g-e@gnu.org in Cc; other people might be
    Michael> interested in the result.

ok. I will post the infos about FTP-version, the protocol the evening then.

Cheers, and thanks, Martin