Re: tramp/ange-ftp: error in creation of dir's

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: tramp/ange-ftp: error in creation of dir's
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 23:46:14 +0100

Martin Steffen <msteffen@ifi.uio.no> writes:

> Hi.

Hi,

> ftp> quote mdtm /Volume_1/
> 550 /Volume_1: No such file or directory.
> ftp> mkdir /Volume_1/testdir
> 550 /Volume_1/testdir: No such file or directory.

Hmm, the same output as in the ange-ftp log. That is consistent. I
wouldn't blame ange-ftp, when your FTP server isn't able to create a new
directory over a link.

Have you tried (in Emacs) to go to "192.164.1.4:/mnt/HD_a2/" directly?
And if it works, is it possible to create a directory there?

Otherwise, an option might be to create directories on your FTP server
outside of Emacs, for example with the FTP client on the shell.
Transferring files seems to work, if I understand you correctly.

I'm not intimate enough with ange-ftp to change the command sequence it
sends over the wire. I fear I would break other configurations then.

> cheers, Martin

Best regards, Michael.