set-face-attribute width condensed/expanded no difference? (Mac)

From: Presto
Subject: set-face-attribute width condensed/expanded no difference? (Mac)
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2007 03:55:55 -0800 (PST)

Executing the following two lines of code does not seem to result in
any difference in the font width:

(set-face-attribute 'default nil :family "andale mono" :width
'condensed)
(set-face-attribute 'default nil :family "andale mono" :width
'normal)

The Andale Mono font is too widely spaced in my opinion; I would like
to make it more condensed. Can this be achieved?

Environment: Mac OS 10.5.1, Emacs 22.1.50.1