Re: Emacs Environment Variables

From: Barry Margolin
Subject: Re: Emacs Environment Variables
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2007 16:09:00 -0500

In article
<7e3068b0-defa-4b37-9092-182b521f5f50@e23g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,
 Phi <cyan.phi@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi:
>
>     I currently start emacs from bash shell and have a long list of
> environment variables defined in
> .bashrc . How do I have emacs environment aromatically inherit all the
> variables from bash on startup?

You shouldn't need to do anything special.  Environment variables are
automatically ("aromatically"?) inherited by child processes.

Are you sure you're defining environment variables in your .bashrc, and
not just shell variables?  To put variables into the environment, you
need to use "export".

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA