Re: How to render html buffer in emacs?

From: reader
Subject: Re: How to render html buffer in emacs?
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2007 11:50:09 -0600

Tim X <timx@nospam.dev.null> writes:

> Hallvard B Furuseth <h.b.furuseth@usit.uio.no> writes:
>
>> How do I get Emacs to render a HTML buffer (as a web page, not as html
>> source)?  I've been looking a bit at the w3m doc, but it has hopeless
>> chapter names and only lists how to use it with some specific apps
>> (gnus, mail readers, etc).
>>

> The easiest way to do this is to use the browse-url package.
>
> ,----[ C-h f browse-url-of-file RET ]
> | browse-url-of-file is an interactive compiled Lisp function in
> `browse-url.el'.
> | (browse-url-of-file &optional FILE)
> |
> | Ask a WWW browser to display FILE.
> | Display the current buffer's file if FILE is nil or if called
> | interactively.  Turn the filename into a URL with function
> | `browse-url-file-url'.  Pass the URL to a browser using the
> | `browse-url' function then run `browse-url-of-file-hook'.
> |
> | [back]
> `----
>
> ,----[ C-h f browse-url-of-dired-file RET ]
> | browse-url-of-dired-file is an interactive compiled Lisp function in
> `browse-url.el'.
> | (browse-url-of-dired-file)
> |
> | In Dired, ask a WWW browser to display the file named on this line.
> |
> | [back]
> `----

Sorry to butt in but:
browse-url-of-file doesn't work here.. it gives this error
   browse-url: Wrong type argument: listp, w3m-browse-url

Which appears to mean my settings for w3m are interfering but not sure
what to do about it.  I'm not sure what all they are even but
I see:
  browse-url-browser-function is a variable defined in `browse-url.el'.
Its value is browse-url-firefox

So what do I need to do to have browse-url-of-file call firefox?