Re: Opening file in UTF-8 mode automatically

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: Opening file in UTF-8 mode automatically
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2007 21:49:27 -0800 (PST)

On Nov 24, 7:38 pm, Reiner Steib <reinersteib+gm...@imap.cc> wrote:

> `auto-coding-regexp-alist' in Emacs 22 already has an entry for the
> BOM: ("\\`\xEF\xBB\xBF" . utf-8).

Yep, it's there, I checked it, but it doesn't trigger opening the file
in utf-8 mode.

Is there any other setting which is necessary for auto-coding-regexp-
alist to work, or should this single setting be enough? I don't have
anything else set.

I checked mule.el (the only .el file where this variable is seemingly
used), but it's not clear for me what should trigger it. Apparently
it's not triggered by find-file-hook or something which I would
expect.